February 2018 - Labor Report by Eric Sherman
Lincoln County Democratic Central Committee
Ad Hoc Committee on Labor
Monthly Report for February 2018
This report is intended to serve as a “digest” of sorts for news, events, and activities pertinent to
working people throughout Oregon and the United States in general.
Activities & Events
• I am still working out of town and expect to be through the summer. Extremely busy, but there are
some critical things going on that need to be addressed.
• Y’all filed your PCP candidate paperwork?? Don’t forget there are also lots of public committee
positions available throughout the County!
• Lincoln County Commissioner Thompson reports that long-awaited Newport wave energy test
facility is close to being approved. Keeping tuned on that!
Legislation & Court Cases to Watch (both favorable and unfavorable activities may be listed here)
• Janus v. AFSCME – Supreme Court case being heard on February 26th. This one is potentially a
death blow to public sector unions and, by extension, private sector unions as well.
• Precision Castparts is one of the largest companies in Oregon by revenues, and is extremely antiunion.
Organizing efforts by the Machinists Union had gained some foothold until the NLRB –
tasked by law to facilitate Union organizing efforts – became stacked with anti-union Trump
• The Trump campaign relied heavily on a promise of spending $1.5 trillion on infrastructure
improvement. Now the administration has released a proposed $200 billion federal investment,
hoping that state and local governments will pick up the remaining $1.3 trillion. These are the
same state and local governments, of course, that often can’t afford to fill potholes in the roads they
News & Editorials
• “Portland architects move ahead with skyscraper plan for post office site”
◦ Could someone please call up Portland and tell them to quit goofing around? They’ve got a
city full of houseless and displaced people. They don’t need to be building 1000-foot tall twin
• “Randy Bryce’s Campaign Is Not Just Pro-Union—It’s Unionized”
◦ Randy Bryce is a Union Ironworker from Wisconsin who is running for Paul Ryan’s seat in
Congress. He is totally awesome and his campaign staff is now Organized and you should all